This is an opportunity for an experienced business leader to become the Executive Chair of Venturefest Oxford (Ltd), an annual event that brings together innovators, investors and entrepreneurs to make new connections that lead to new investments, new businesses and new ideas.
As Executive Chair of Venturefest Oxford you will have an opportunity to drive a dynamic and vibrant event which celebrates successes in the high-tech knowledge economy in the region and provides a focal point for the local innovation eco-system helping to drive growth in the local economy and creating sustainable jobs.
We are looking for a persuasive and influential person who can bring energy and passion to the Venturefest Board. You will continue to foster positive relationships with local stakeholders and be a prime facilitator of attracting sponsorship and funding. You will also manage the programme for the annual flagship event.
Our Board is well established, representative of a wide range of private and public interests with active engagement of the two Universities, OxLEP, The Oxford Trust and local businesses.
The individual will be required to be a director of the company and to act as Chair. In so doing to represent the views and interests of the Venturefest Board, ensuring that decisions are taken in the best interests of the event and the local economy.
It is essential that we appoint a dynamic and well connected Executive Chair to lead Venturefest Oxford into its 21st year. The Board recognise that its new Chair should be:
- a natural leader with a good profile in Oxfordshire
- someone who can lead the Venturefest event into the next phase of growth
- someone who has empathy in order to be able to work with and influence a wide range of people
- someone with a proven link and passion for innovation and entrepreneurship in the tech sector
- someone who will strengthen and raise the profile of Venturefest Oxford in Oxfordshire and beyond
The Venturefest Board meets every three to four months currently. The Executive Chair is required to foster partnerships and funding opportunities and to build and manage the event programme. This currently equates to a commitment of up to 30 days per annum.
As Venturefest Oxford is a Limited Company (not for profit) the successful candidate will become a Director of the Company but not an employee, and their details will be filed at Companies House. This invokes certain legal duties and responsibilities, which candidates are expected to be familiar and comfortable with.
The Chair will:
Experience and Attributes
- Provide visible leadership, strategic direction and a purpose to the Venturefest Board, helping to create a successful event which contributes to the growth of the Oxfordshire economy
- Chair and develop an effective Board, ensuring that a broad range of challenging perspectives are united (and motivated) towards a common goal and purpose
- Actively seek to promote the interests and ambitions of Venturefest Oxford with key influencers in local government, business and community, with the broad aim of driving a positive future for the County and Venturefest Oxford’s role in supporting it
- Oversee the development of future Venturefest Oxford strategy and governanc• Champion the work of Venturefest Oxford, its objectives, outcomes and results to relevant partners, organisations, networks and the media
- Secure top level sponsorship and partnership funding opportunities
- Develop and manage the event programme, working with the current, long term and experienced event delivery manager
- Be responsible for budgets and financial management
The Chair must be able to demonstrate the following:
Terms of Appointment
- A strong commitment to, and understanding of, innovation, entrepreneurship and the knowledge-based sector
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; be articulate and able to influence, broker, build strong networks, deal with media attention and represent Venturefest Oxford in a local and sometimes national context
- Empathy, in order to be able to work with and influence a wide range of people
- Be well-connected, with demonstrable links to other businesses and organisations in the County
- Commitment to serve for up to three years with an option to extend by agreement of the Board
- Absolute minimum commitment of 30 days a year, including chairing Board/strategic meetings, event management and attendance and ambassadorial duties
- This role will be remunerated at £15,000 per annum
Venturefest Oxford encourages applications regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or age.
How to Apply and Timetable for Recruitment
If you feel you have the skills and experience to meet these challenges and wish to apply for this opportunity, please send a CV with a covering letter to [email protected]
- Closing Date - 31st August 2018
- Short-listing - w/c 3rd September 2018
- Shortlisted candidates attend Venturefest - 12th September 2018
- Interviews - 17/18th September 2018
- Commence Role - 1st November 2018