2018 China-UK Innovation & Entrepreneurship Competition: Call for Projects
During the state visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to the UK in October 2015, China and the UK released the declaration on Building a Strategic Partnership for the 21st Century, ushering in a “golden era” of commercial relations built on innovation partnerships. To help implement this joint declaration and increase the level of innovation exchanges, a China-UK Science and Technology Innovation Forum was convened during the 2017 China-UK People-to-People Exchange in London. The Premier of the State Council of China, Liu Yandong, together with Prince Andrew, Duke of York, witnessed the signing of a memorandum of understanding on China-UK Innovation Cooperation, calling for the establishment of the China-UK Youth Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition. This MoU was signed by the Chinese Minister of Science and Technology, Wang Zhigang, and the UK Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation, Joe Johnson.
Chengdu Competition Overview
Now in its second year, this competition selects and showcases outstanding examples of innovation from across both the UK and China, with a goal of fostering cross-border entrepreneurship. The competition targets high-tech startups looking to develop both the Chinese and UK markets. This year’s competition is hosted by the government of Chengdu in Sichuan province, the leading innovation city in China’s fast developing western region. Competition winners will be awarded cash prizes and roadshows/training in China.
Competition Schedule (subject to change)
Oct 7: Submission deadline (Project Form, Project Brief and slide deck) Extended to Oct 14
Oct 12: Semi-finalists announced
Oct 15-19: China Business Plan training
Oct 24: Semi-finalist submission deadline (China Business Plan and slides)
Oct 28-29: Pitching competition in London for 30 projects
Nov 2019: Awards ceremony and roadshow in Chengdu for 3 top projects
Apr 2019: Roadshow & training in Shenzhen, China for all semi-finalists
Projects based on innovation and technology related to the following domains welcome:
Agricultural technology & food security
Artificial intelligence & big data
Robotics, advanced manufacturing & logistics
Software, internet of things & information technology
Green innovation, new energy & sustainable development
Comprehensive health & advanced medical treatment
New vehicles, smart transportation, aviation & aerospace
3) Semi-finalists will prepare a short China Business Plan, covering market, competition, localisation, go-to-market plan and financing for China in 2-5 pages.
4) Globaltech IP will conduct China business plan training for semi-finalists during the week of Oct 15-19 to assist in the preparation of the China Business Plan.
5) Candidates must bear their own travel expenses for the 2-day semi-finals and finals to be held in London on Oct 28-29th.
6) During the semi-finals on Oct 28th, 30 projects will present to a panel of judges from both the UK and China. Pitches will be 10 minutes plus 5 minutes for Q&A.
7) During the finals on Oct 29th, 8 projects will present to a panel of judges plus a public audience, including Chengdu officials, investors and entrepreneurs. Final pitches will be 12 minutes plus 8 minutes for Q&A.
1) Judges will include investors, industry & domain experts, innovation specialists, and successful entrepreneurs, from both the UK and China.
2) Projects will be judged on innovation, competitiveness, China business model and market analysis, and plan (development, market, financial). Teams will be scored on entrepreneurial experience, aptitude and China experience, including relevant R&D, industrialisation, business development, and management skills.
3) Products, technologies and related patents of the participating projects should be wholly owned by the companies, and not subject to IP disputes or controversy.
1) The top 3 projects will be selected on Oct 29th by a combination of judges’ scores and audience voting, including semi-finalists who did not progress to the finals.
2) The top 3 prizes will be £5000 for 1st, £3000 for 2nd, and £2000 for 3rd prize and winners will be invited to Chengdu, China to attend a special awards ceremony.
3) Prize winners and all finalists will also receive significant publicity, introduction to investment organisations in the UK and China, and free consultation on market development and project landing in China from Globaltech IP.
4) All project finalists and qualifying semi-finalists (who attend both days of the competition) will be eligible to attend the “China-UK Innovation and Entrepreneurship Showcase” in Shenzhen, China around April 2019.
5) All travel expenses to attend this event will be covered, and the programme will include investment roadshows, project matchmaking, and expert presentations on innovation policies, funding, and the Chinese entrepreneurship ecosystem.
Whether you are exploring international markets for the first time, or have established operations, James Cowper Kreston can help guide you through the challenges and risks of trading internationally and maximise your opportunities. READ MORE