Oxford is one of Europe’s most innovative and entrepreneurial universities: income from external research contracts in 2016/17 exceeded £530M, and more than 150 spinout companies have been created to date. Many of our academics actively engage with external partners to identify interesting problems, stimulate high quality research and deliver social and economic impact locally, nationally and globally, through discovery, commercialisation, policy, process and technological innovation and creating new companies and new social enterprise ventures.
Commercialisation of research and expertise is managed by Oxford University Innovation, with typically about 20 new ventures, and about £6m licence income and £5m consultancy income each year. OUI supported the award of £13M of translational funding to Oxford’s entrepreneurial academics, and over 3,400 patents and applications are under OUI management.
Oxford University is world renowned for its research and knowledge exchange activity, which includes:
– Researching real world problems and providing high calibre research impact for the benefit of society
– Providing world-class consultancy, specialist facilities and equipment
– Spinning out new technology companies
– Licensing patented cutting-edge technology and software
– Providing support for new and small companies – through science parks that combine university research with startup accommodation for established companies, and are home to a number of incubators for emerging companies, and provides technology consultancy services
– Supplying high quality graduates and post-graduates to organisations locally, nationally and internationally
– Providing flexible, part-time short and accredited programmes specially designed to fit around professionals’ working lives
– Providing support and mentoring for entrepreneurs
The University plays an active role with regional partners to attract investors to participate with us in building innovation in the local, regional and national economies and support entrepreneurs #StartedinOxford